A bit of timelapse video from a recent visit to Lake Tipsoo. Nicely thawing out as you can see. Sony a7r II and Zeiss 16-35mm
So I got back from going down to Rainier Friday night to see how the lakes were thawing. Turns out they are amazing so I will be going back down next week early for some sunrise. Highlights of the Friday the 13th trip:
– Leaving at 1pm wasn’t early enough – still bad traffic down 167
– Lots of people in the park
– I get to Reflection Lakes and they appear mostly frozen but a few thawed spots. I hike out to one and get some nice shots. I see this guy watching me and sure enough once I get back to the road he pounces with all these questions ie Is it safe? (maybe) Did you get a reflection? (yes). You can tell he’s been studying this situation for about an hour or more.
– I drive down to the Snow Lake trailhead and two guys are parked there happily smoking. Turns out they are from the South. Of course, who else smokes in the park? 🙂
– I hike out to the lake in my Sorels. There is no trail but some faint bootprints. I eventually find my way and the lake is gorgeous. I stay til sunset and get some great shots. I wander over through the brush to this 1000 foot sheer drop and get some nice shots but kinda regret the risk. I also manage to butt dial my sister which is surprising that I got cell reception and hearing her voice from my pocket was funny.
– I decide to hike back before its pitch black even though I have my headlamp. My route goes straight up this steep hill but I find my way. I punch through some snow and land in a creek but am still dry. I find this steep trail down to the road and it works.
– Driving back down out of the park I run into these two kids hiking back in darkness. The girl has made a crutch out of a stick since she sprained her ankle. I gave them a ride to their car at Longmire.
– Driving past Alder at 60-ish mph, a deer wanders onto the road. I manage to swerve and miss it.
– Driving through Spanaway and Parkland – what a twilight zone of crushed dreams 🙂
whew…home at 1130